Thursday, September 18, 2008

Did you know...?


Did you know that 3,600,000,000 plastic bags are being consumed per hour out of which only 1% is recycled. This fact was quite alarming to me. I haphazardly use plastic bags pretty much every day. I've recently started to make a conscious decision to ask for paper instead of plastic. Most people probably don't know that most grocery stores still offer paper bags as opposed to plastic. You just have to ask. So while at Publix last week I proceeded to ask for a paper bag. I had only bought one item (shocking I know), and the "bag girl" looked at me kind of funny. The product failed to fit in the small paper sack. With a disgruntled look on her face she asked me if I still wanted paper...a bigger paper bag. Yes. She seemed annoyed. Whatever. Paper is far more user friendly than plastic and it can be recycled. When I was little my mom saved all the paper bags for me and my brother to paint. We created some awesome art work. Anywho, the next time I went to Publix, I asked for paper again. All of my items fit in one sack! If I had used plastic, it would have taken about six bags. I felt good about it though. Every little bit helps. Next time, ask for paper. It will throw the cashier or bag person for a loop. I promise you'll catch them off guard.


P.S. 7000 to 14000 barrels of oil are being consumed per hour to produce plastic bags.


No comments: